Edublog Assignment #3

screenshot-2016-11-03-at-9-08-58-am

I live in East Oakland In the 60s. The neighborhood i grew up in use to be very quiet and everyone knew each other. I would describe myself as a person by saying i’m really quiet and is different from other people. I would describe myself as a good friend, headache as a daughter and sibling. A assigned identity i claim is being a girl and my age.

To begin with dominant narrative means someone who has power over another person gets to tell the person with less power story. Two of the pictures i used as dominant narratives was how women doesn’t get treated as equally as men , the other was how African Americans are being killed by the police. These images affected me because i’m a girl and i want equality , i don’t want to be treated different from men. The other affected me because I am African American and have brothers and i would go crazy if the police killed my brother and he doesn’t get any type of justice.

Another kind of narrative is Counter Narrative which means a person can tell their own story about themselves. Two pictures i used as counter narratives on my shadowbox is African American holding up a sign saying “Black Lives Matter, We need Justice !” the other was a sign saying men only and a circle with a slash going through it. These image made me feel like i can tell i how feel and was going against dominant narratives that goes against me.

Also identity means describing a person and how they’re presented and basically everything about them.Identity images are pictures that shows something meaningful to a person and pictures that describes something about them. Some identity pictures i used was a picture of me and my family and a picture that says spoiled. These pictures affected me because my family means a lot to me and the other image affected me because i always get my ways and i’m spoiled so it described me.

In conclusion, people see me as a friendly person who enjoys spending time with her friends and family and is very spoiled and love to eat and have my nails done. If people really knew me they would know that i’m very nice and love to have fun and enjoy life. It was important for me to correct the dominant narrative with the counter-narrative because people would probably think something wrong, and look at something weird. What i learned in this unit is that people may really think things of people or make up things about people that isn’t really true that’s why people should be able to tell their own story.